Oddsmaker and national racing commentator Mike Battaglia has made Kitten’s Cat the 4-1 morning line favorite in the Grade III JACK Cincinnati Casino Spiral Stakes Saturday at Turfway Park. The draw was held at the casino Wednesday as the featured event of the annual Call to the Post luncheon for the $500,000 race.
Trained by Joe Sharp for Ken and Sarah Ramsey, Kitten’s Cat will break from post 8 in the 12-horse field.
“His best races have been when he’s been outside,” Sharp said. “He’s gotten more mature and more confident with every race, so I think he would run well from anywhere, but we think he’s a little better drawing outside. If I had been able to pick a post I’d have picked the eight, so we’re very happy with it. And being the favorite in a $500,000 race never feels bad.”
Co-second choice at 5-1 are Parlor, who breaks from post 9 for trainer Eddie Kenneally, and King and His Court, who breaks from post 11 for trainer Mark Casse.
Parlor has two wins and was second, beaten a neck after traffic trouble, in his only three races to date, all coming from far back.
“We like where we’re at,” said Brad Anderson, who owns Parlor. The nine is fine. We thought we’d be second to Kitten’s Cat (on the morning line). All three of his races have had very slow paces, and I don’t think he’s ever really gotten to run. What we’ve been so impressed with is, you’d think with the slow pace the front runners would have beaten him, but he just goes. I’d like to see some real pace. I think for him, the longer the better. I think he’s sitting on a big race.”
The field for the Spiral Stakes, with trainers, riders, morning line odds and posts:
Post, Horse, Trainer, Jockey, ML
1. Blueridge Traveler, Kenneth McPeek, Channing Hill, 12-1
2. Soglio, Graham Motion, Trevor McCarthy, 6-1
3. Fast and Accurate, Michael Maker, Tyler Gaffalione, 15-1
4. Convict Pike, George Arnold, Angel Cruz, 8-1
5. Colonel Samsen, Eoin Harty, Jose Lezcano, 15-1
6. Giant Payday, Ian Wilkes, Chris Landeros, 8-1
7. Shiraz, Michael Maker, Rafael Hernandez, 20-1
8. Kitten’s Cat, Joe Sharp, Luis Saez, 4-1
9. Parlor, Eddie Kenneally, Jesus Castanon, 5-1
10. Bronson, Todd Pletcher, Manuel Franco, 10-1
11. King and His Court, Mark Casse, Gary Boulanger, 5-1
12. En Hanse, Michael Maker, Robby Albarado, 15-1
A Road to the Kentucky Derby points race worth 50 to the winner, the Spiral Stakes is the 10th of 12 races on Saturday’s card and is set to run at 5:55 p.m. ET. First post is 1:10 p.m.