Thursday, Sept. 14, 2017
By Dick Downey
Updated 12:33 p.m. CDT
It's been a pleasure working the Kentucky Downs meet again. I go back a long way with this track, having attended just about every race of every meet except one. Somehow I had to be out of town that year, and I sure did miss being here.
Today I'm going to try something a little different. All selections will be $2 exacta part wheels keyed with one or two horses unless otherwise indicated. Kentucky Downs' exacta takeout of 18.25 percent is among the lowest in the nation. Good luck to everyone!
TO BE UPDATED on race day. Scratches show a
NOTES FOR THURSDAY'S CARD: The surface should be fairly firm, but check the board for the track rating. Light rain from Irma has come through, maybe a half-inch. My information is that the rail will be out on the two path in the far turn but not in the stretch.
Race 1. Claiming $40,000, Fillies and Mares 3YO & up, $55,000, 1 Mile 70 Yards
3, 11 with 3, 5, 6,
8, 10, 11 = 8 combinations
1. CHARMING CLARE #3 -- Maker trainee ran her career-best Bris speed figure at the track last year. She's won three of 11 races in the last two calendar years, which compares favorably to many of these.
2. FIVE HEARTS #11 -- Sharp trainee has been on the board four of five starts this year.
Race 2. Maiden Special Weight, Fillies 2YO, $130,000, Furlongs
Anything could happen, but I like one filly in particular. One of the also-eligibles got in, the 14.
10 with 1, 6, 9, 11,
12, 13, 14
1, 6, 9, 11,
12, 13, 14 with 10
1. BRIDALED TEMPER #10 didn't get in as an also-eligible on opening day. She looked good on that day's card and still looks good. Trainer Casse is 21% with second-time starters.
Race 3. Allowance Optional Claiming $62,500 N2X/N3L, 3YO & up, $145,00, 6 Furlongs
1 with 3, 4, 5, 6,
3, 4, 5, 6,
10, 11 with 1
1. GRAND CANDY #1 -- Trainer Cox is 30% first off the claim; colt had Castellano on him at Saratoga last time out and lost by less than a length after encountering traffic; gets Geroux today.
Race 4. Maiden Special Weight, Fillies and Mares 3YO & up, $130,000, 1 Mile
7, 8 with 1, 3, 7, 8, 9, 10,
11 = 10 combinations
1. TIZ MY LADY #7 -- $300,000 sale purchase has not lived up to that price tag but gets Leparoux for trainer Helen Pitts, who races here for the first time this meet. Blinkers on might get her into the mix sooner.
2. TO BE FAMOUS #8 -- Trainer Sancal is one-for-two this meet; and as for the filly, she improved when put on turf for the first time last race.
Race 5. Allowance N2X/N3L, 3YO & up, $140,000, 1 Mile 70 Yards
7, 10 with 3,
4, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13 = 8 combinations
2. TOBIAS #7 -- He was third here in a one-mile allowance on a track rated good on opening day. He was scratched from Saturday's Grade III Kentucky Turf Cup. Last year, he almost won a one-mile allowance race here on a track rated firm.
1. MORNING AT THE GYM #10 -- A number of winners this meet last raced at Saratoga, and so did he. Gets Ortiz back on top for Maker.
Race 6. Maiden Special Weight, 2YO, $130,000, 6 Furlongs
2, 6, 7 with 2,
3, 4, 6, 7, 10, 15 = 12 combinations.
1. TRUE LOYALTY #2 -- In his debut, which came at Churchill Downs, he finished third to Dak Attack (subsequent winner of the Ellis Park Juvenile) and Sporting Chance (subseqent winner of the Grade I Hopeful). Switched to turf second time out, he ran a better Bris figure than he did in his debut.
2. ROYAL CREED #7 -- Debuting son of multiple graded stakes sprint winner Jimmy Creed sold at auction for $325,000 in April.
3. ROYAL HOLIDAY #6 -- Trainer Ward is prodigious with first-time starters.
Race 7. Allowance N1X/N2L, Fillies & Mares 3YO & up, $100,000, 1 Mile
$2 exacta box
1. ENGLISH DANCER #5 - Mott trainee just worked in 46 and change.
2. DESERT DUCHESS #3 --Has been running pretty well at fairly low odds in New York under Ortiz, Rosario and Castellano.
3. THRICE #4 -- Has a 4: 2-2-0 record and has been claimed twice in last two races.
4. LORAN HOLIDAY #6 -- I drew a line through her last race because she had a bad trip. Gets jockey switch to Albarado.
In case of scratches:
NOBLE READY #10, DOMONETTE #1, LA SOLA RANGER #15
Race 8. Franklin-Simpson Stakes, 3YO, $250,000, 7 Furlongs
5 with 1,
2, 4, 6, 8, 9
2, 4, 6, 8, 9 with 5
1. KITTEN'S CAT #5, a son of Kitten's Joy, has had mixed results in a slew of stakes this year, but what is not on the PP's I am using is the fact that he broke his maiden at second asking here at the track last year.
Race 9. Ramsey Farm Stakes, Fillies & Mares 3YO & up, $350,000, 1 5/16 Mile
4, 8 with 2,
3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 11 = 10 combinations
1. KITTEN'S ROAR #4 -- I hope the Ramseys win the Ramsey Farm Stakes. Last year, Kitten's Roar, a daughter of Kitten's Joy, won an optional claiming race here at the track. He's gone on to compete in grade I / grade II company.
2. DARING DUCHESS -- Also owned by the Ramseys, this one finished second in the 1 1/2-mile, Grade III Bewitch at Keeneland in April, then won a minor stake at the same distance at Churchill Downs in her next start. Like many Ramsey runners, she's been freshened for this meet.
Race 10. Starter Allowance $10,000, 3YO & up, $50,000, 1 1/2 Mile
$6 to win and $12 to show on FOREVER SURE #8, who has an excellent record this year and has a second-place finish from two starts at the 1 1/2-mile distance.